It's unusual to see the old Charity Hospital from the air. This sketch is from the 1900 edition of The Picayune's Guide to New Orleans. This complex of buildings stood on Tulane Avenue on the same site now occupied by the Medical Center of Louisiana (more familiarly known as "Big Charity"). Opened in 1833 in the original building standing in the center of the square, the hospital served the city for more than a century, until it was torn down in 1936 to make way for the skyscraper that replaced it. According to the Picayune's Guide, in 1900 the hospital had 850 beds and handled approximately 7000 cases annually.